Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Where has the time gone?

It is really awful when you are so boring that even you don't want to read what you have to write about your life.  Okay, maybe it isn't that boring, but I have been too busy to sit and think and write and pontificate. (sorry, just had to change the font.  I can't stand New Times Roman)

Life has been super busy.  I think I have traveled twice each month for work and that does not count family trips here, there and everywhere.  I am heading to Chicago on the 26th, where I will be addressing an unknown number of prevention and firefighter professionals on the topic of the Exchange and all the things our agency can provide them.  I am more than a bit nervous.  I feel as though I have the presentation, i.e. PowerPoint, completed, but I still need to write my script, go over it a few million times and then make myself cue cards.  It feels like everything is leading up to this speech and after that, I can finally take a deep breath. 

We recently had a staff member retire.  That means that his position has been advertised.  Well, it really isn't his position but it is his grade.  I am applying for the job like every other 11 on the campus and possibly like every other retired state worker.  This is a good job for them to move into after retiring from the state, but man!  why do they want to hire someone who has already retired.  Aren't we trying to set ourselves up for the future?  They continually hire the same people, 55+, who really just want something cushy for the next five years and they will be off again.  I am thinking that it may be time for me to move out of this agency.  Yes, I realize that it is close and that the grass is always greener on the other side, but I am not prepared to wait another 5 years for a promotion when I work as hard and most definitely harder than the people holding the higher positions.

H is beginning middle school in a few weeks.  I think she is super excited, but I am a little cautious.  Middle School, I remember those days.  Things change so much.  I feel like she may not be ready for that yet.  Or, maybe I am not ready for it.

Well, I need to get back to the presentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment